Friday, August 24, 2007


Degree in dusting? After waking up at an ungodly hour to help move a huge T.V., I was settling down to have a little breakfast before going back to bed when I saw something that made me gag. Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary is now offering a degree in homemaking, offered only to women, "aiming the students to model the characteristics of the godly woman as outlined in Scripture." (http://www.christianpost.com/article/20070815/28912_Baptists_Debate_New_Seminary_Degree_in_Homemaking.htm) Insulting as that is, the cherry on top was the deluded spokeswoman for the seminary conducting her interview with the Today show in front of a statue of (I presume) Mary Magdalene washing Jesus' feet. Although, in a seminary like this the statue could as easily be portraying "The Correct Role for Women."

And people wonder why I never got married? Of course not every man will expect that submission (or get it) but the immense pile of steaming baggage that the institution of marriage drags behind it is so difficult to ignore. It's Friday and I have the sudden desire for a very sinful weekend ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Delicious, Chloe. Truly lovely. I think that next time I'll have to get you a bustier and garter belt to model? Let me know how the weekend went ;)

Anonymous said...

You make marriage what you want of it. I got and gave beautiful things from my marriage and then ended it because it had run its course. We still care for one another like family even though we would never get too close again. So many people think that they have to accept all the conventions that you hate and they tie themselves into an unpleasent, too narrow box. I don't want that, that's for sure. I think the coolest relationships are the marriages that break the tradition and still involve amazing caring and response.

Anonymous said...

I came across a quote from Shelley, from the early 1800s, describing his thoughts on marriage: A kind of ineffable, sickening disgust seizes my mind when I think of this most despotic, most unrequired fetter.

I kinda like this excerpt of his poetry that I saw:

He reared his shuddering limbs, and
quelled
His gasping breath, and spread his
arms to meet
Her panting bosom; ... she drew
back a while,
Then, yielding to the irresistible
joy,
With frantic gesture and short
breathless cry
Folded his frame in her dissolving
arms.

Btw, I love well done eyes - hope you have more luck with mascara.